This weekend we were happy to have my brother come stay with us while my dad and Karen were out of town. We always have fun with Matthew, but it was interesting to have a 15-year old in the house for almost 5 days. The most fascinating thing to me was learning more about technology and watching with amazement as he deftly managed his iPod, iPad, and cell phone (he never actually made a call, just texted) all on his lap at the same time. I never understood the iPad hype. I just assumed if you have a computer why have an iPad? I am now an iPad convert and desperately want one. Do you know that you can download an app from TW Cable and quickly and easily watch tv with an amazing picture from your iPad? Matthew did this in about 2 minutes. He also showed me numerous games. I definitely learned alot from him.
Lily was very happy to have her uncle in the house, though I think she was a bit perplexed as to why he wasn't engaged with her every minute like her time spent with grandparents. She constantly showed Matthew what she was doing or would at least look over to see if he was paying any attention at all. She liked to sit on the sofa next to him and like me, admired all of his gadgets. Matthew did read to her and built towers out of Legos. She would cry (huge tears) when he left and happily clap her hands and say 'Matt' when he returned. On Sunday afternoon we were spectators at Matthew's soccer game. His team won 4-0! Lily loved watching and really wanted to run out onto the field. She also was the talk of the sidelines with several other parents oohing and ahhing over her and laughing at her antics.
Justin was happy to have more testosterone in the house and the two teased me mercilessly. I found myself often telling Lily that it was quite challenging to keep up with two men in the house and wondered what life would be like if she ever had a brother. Since Matthew has his learner's permit Justin also took it upon himself to impart words of driving wisdom to Matthew whenever we were in the car. Matthew assured Justin that he would make a driving journal and review these 'rules' while driving. :) They include..."When you come upon a yellow light always assume it's been yellow for awhile and don't drive through it". Also, "always look before you back out of your driveway" said as we were almost hit by a teenage driver who did not look as he backed out of his driveway.
Here are a couple of pictures from Matthew's soccer game. I feel bad that I didn't take any pictures of Lily and Matthew together at the house. Maybe next time.