Can you sense the excitement?
After class, Lily's first response was, "Mommy, I didn't even cry." Then she told me about how beautiful the older dancers were when they were dancing with scarves. She twirled and spun around the house until dinner time. I'm so glad she enjoyed it. She sure looks cute in her leotard and ballet shoes.
On Wednesday, we met Lily's new teachers and visited her new classroom. At the end of last year, I signed her up for 4 day pre-k. However, as I spent time with her over the summer, I begin to think that I would send her 3-days a week because kindergarten is right around the corner. I wanted to soak up every moment with her that I could. Because I simply could not make a decision, I prayed and asked for a gut feeling to guide me. When I stepped into her wonderful classroom and met the teachers, I immediately felt that I should send her 4-days a week because I knew she would love it and learn so much. I feel comfortable with my decision, but the teachers reminded me that I could always cut back a day if we felt led to do so. During and after our morning visit, Lily was giddy with excitement. Harrison felt right at home too. He played with everything right alongside Lily. I know we will both miss her in the mornings.
Here are a few pictures of our big girl on her first day of Four Year Old Pre-K.
Drawing a picture of a beautiful sunny day before school started. I know it is hard to see, but she drew a blue sky, yellow sun, and a smiling person at the bottom. Hopefully a sign that she was feeling good about going to school.
Holding her welcome postcard from her new teachers.
Showing off her bookbag.
Putting away her bookbag.
One happy girl--she loves her new class.
After dropping Lily off at her classroom, Harrison and I made a quick trip to the grocery store. Several times on the way there, he called "ily" and I had to remind him that she was at school. He called for her in the store and he called for her at home while he was playing. I think the transition may be hardest for Harrison. He was all smiles when he saw Lily come out the door of preschool. She stopped and hugged Harrison in his carseat before the teacher could buckle her in. So precious!
While Lily was in school, Harrison and I laced beads and played with trucks.
When we picked her up, Lily was full of news from the day. She said they all got to sit on a ladybug on the carpet during circle time. They read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and got to paint a coconut tree. She wrote her name on her paper and drew a picture of herself. She ate animal crackers, cheese crackers, and juice for a snack. She played outside on the tire swing with her friend Mckaylen. She said her teachers were nice. I'd say that is a pretty good report for a 4-year old.
Before meeting her teachers on Wednesday, both kids had well-check visits at the doctor. Lily was great, Harrison threw a tantrum. Though he did not have to get shots this time (poor Lily did and was very sad about it), Harrison didn't want the doctor to touch him at all. He screamed through the entire exam and once it was over fell down on the floor and continued screaming. Since our doctor barely talks above a whisper (even during a tantrum), I couldn't hear much of what he said. Overall, both kids are in great health. Good thing I had no concerns.
Information about Lily:
Lily, the doctor said, is petite for her age, but growing nicely. She weighs 30.5 pounds and stands 39 inches tall. She completed a vision test and a hearing screening. We went ahead and completed the vaccinations that she will need for kindergarten.
One thing that Lily loves to say at bedtime: "I've got you soaken tight" as she grabs my arm and keeps me with her. She does this every night. She always wants to cuddle for a few extra minutes and I guess this means that she has us so tight that we can't leave. I love it, and I'll be sad when she stops saying it.
Information about Harrison:
Harrison weighs 24 pounds and is 33.5 inches tall. His length may not be quite accurate due to all of his wiggling around.
Harrison also had a dentist appointment last month to check on his two front teeth that were loose, and also to attempt a cleaning. He did really well at first, and let the hygienist brush his teeth. However, when she pulled out the polisher he got upset. The dentist confirmed that his front teeth seem fine now, but problems could occur until the age of five. Our fingers are crossed that he will have no other issues.
Here is our big boy at 18 months. I can't believe he's this big and independent already. He is continuing to say more and will even put together two or three word phrases such as "me walk" and "Lily, are you?" when he is looking for Lily. He absolutely must get up in his high chair or carseat by himself or much crying ensues. He also likes to wear socks (and will search his dresser to find some) and wants to take off his shoes and put them away himself. He used to refer to his pacifier as "mama", but now he simply says, "blalala" while sticking his tongue in and out. I guess he made the change because I used to play dumb and pretend when he was asking for his pacifier that he must be asking for me, hoping he would forget about it. I assume his "blalala" was for my benefit so I would know without a doubt what he was asking for.
I had to snap a few shots of him walking down the steps. He was just so happy and singing along as he walked down. He is so cute!
Lily and Harrison, we love you so much! I wish time would slow down a little because you both are growing up way too fast!